FSFE slide template

Sorry, no update yet. It’s mostly a mental block at the moment because it’s so many different templates or versions which exist. What would really help me:

• We decide on 1 to start out with. Doesn’t really matter which one
  • I work together with another person (or 2) who actually does presentations and will use the template. That way we can directly see if it makes sense.
  • Best in person, so we could do it in the Berlin office whenever there’s time.
  • Should be done in a few hours depending on how many different slide variants we need, and then we can send it to the others who do slides for review, with another review&design session if needed.

Does that work? I’m out of Berlin until end of July but after that I’m available. :)

@jan I would be very interested in that to improve the presentation templates. I could be one of the people. Do you think the other person would have to be involved for several hours, or is it more that you would be involved for that time, and need someone who is close by to give feedback again?

@jan I held 2 presentations at SHA 2017 and came up with my own Master Slides in LibreOffice Impress. I’ve stripped the content, cleaned it up a bit and uploaded it on my personal website:http://nicorikken.eu/uploads/fsfe-template.otp I hope this is a good starting point or example for you.

Looking at more modern corporation templates, a more lightweight font and a 16:9 would bring it more up-to-date. So feel free to edit it to your liking.

So @mk and I sat together a bit and worked on the slides. We used @bjoern’s nice design as a basis and picked slides from several other people which we reworked a bit.

• We also used Roboto everywhere as we do on the website. Only regular and bold, no italic.
  • For full-screen images we put the sticker-like FSFE logo with the white border in the bottom right
  • We do not use the grey plussy background at all anymore
  • The logo is never duplicated on slides, and we don’t use the “stars” icon standalone in the top left as it was done sometimes.

As we both had a bunch of issues getting master slides to work, this for now is mostly created as regular slides. Maybe @bjoern @max.mehl we should sit together at some point to master-ify it? :slight_smile:

https://cloud.jancborchardt.net/s/z6JA4ryctxk8Sz2

What do you think?

3 Likes

Great works, this slides look really nice! I also like the example slides… Many nice stuff I will definitely reuse :slight_smile:

Hi,

it looks very good, thank you!

Just one minor remark: It would be cool to have the whole domain on our slides as well, especially for the first and last one it would be good to have fsfe.org on the slides in a catchy looking way :slight_smile:
Best
Alex

I like the design in general, focusing on large text, preventing too much text on slides. Regarding the templating, I tried the templating in the presentation I uploaded earlier. You need to set the default fonts (starting at default, and then al the fonts inheriting properties from default), and then come up with some default pages with the placement of background elements and the text blocks. But proper templating to mee seems like a black art.

It looks very promising, thank you!

As I am going to give a talk at Kieler Linuxtage on Friday I will use it and give you feedback afterwards.

1 Like

Thanks @nicorikken for the feedback. What about after the first round of feedback we reach out to some people from the LibreOffice community and see if we find someone who can help us with the templates (master slides, etc.)?

@nicorikken suggested me to have a look. See if I have some tips.
Will do that over the next days. Pls poke me if it takes too long :wink:

Thanks @cornouws. Looking forward to it!

@cornouws any progress yet?

Will look somewhere the coming days - before Monday…

1 Like

If we put the domain, I would say we cut the personal speaker details from:

Title · Personal site · @-handle

to

Title · website OR @-handle · fsfe.org

Cause the first and last pages are already quite busy, and the FSFE logo is there. At this stage I would not add anything before taking other things away.

Hi,

The use of master slides is sometimes correct, and can also be improved.

• Master slide ‘Default’ is used with white text (default) and black. When there are significant variations, one could create a different master slide for each. But the difference between black and white is not that huge, at least in the sense that it is hard to choice the wrong color from the palette :wink:
  • Master slide ‘Sub Headline’ is used with blue font (mostly) and black. But the master slide itself has green font. So either I would change that to blue, or create a ‘Sub Headline_Blue’ and a ‘Sub Headline_Green’. If the user wants to change the font to black, that will not give problems with choosing the wrong color.
  • Also for Master slide ‘Sub Headline’: I would position the text frame so that the first line is nicely positioned for ‘most used’.
  • For master slide ‘Content’: it is not used. OK. One could consider an example. And since the idea is to stay away from much text, the props of the styles Outline 1, Outline 2, Outline 3 could maybe be changed so that only few lines fit (e.g. 44 pts)
    (Changes in styles are bound to the specific master slide, of which the style is changed.)
  • (If use of multiple columns with ‘Content’ may be used, you could add a sample slide, mentioning the use of Layout for that goal)
    That’s most of it.
    If considered useful, I could do the suggested adaptions.

What about we either have:

Title - fsfe.org/about/profile - @handle

or in case you do not have an fsfe.org profile page

Title - fsfe.org - @handle

and have the URL fsfe.org part a bit more dominant in both versions?

Master slide ‘Default’ is used with white text (default) and black. When there are significant variations, one could create a different master slide for each. But the difference between black and white is not that huge, at least in the sense that it is hard to choice the wrong color from the palette :wink:

@jan what do you think? Probably it is best to have black as default. We rather used a lot of white when we included pictures. So maybe for picture slides white makes more sense.

Master slide ‘Sub Headline’ is used with blue font (mostly) and black. But the master slide itself has green font. So either I would change that to blue, or create a ‘Sub Headline_Blue’ and a ‘Sub Headline_Green’. If the user wants to change the font to black, that will not give problems with choosing the wrong color.

This one is actually not used from what I see. To clarify we mainly want to have templates for the actual slides we used. We did not continue to work on the slide templates as we were not that experienced with it.

Also for Master slide ‘Sub Headline’: I would position the text frame so that the first line is nicely positioned for ‘most used’.

I would rather use page 14 and create a template out of that for a plain bullet point template slide.

@cornouws I apologise for us not being clear what we had in mind. We were mainly looking to have templates for the actual slides we were using. E.g.

• title (p1) (there it should IMHO be possible to two lines in the footer, without having to change the masterslide itself like it is now.)
  • full screen picture without text (p2)
  • full screen picture with text (p3)
  • full screen picture with bright background (p5) → black text
  • full screen picture with darker background (p6) → white text
  • full screen picture with reference (p7+8)
  • picture with quote (p10)
  • split picture (l) text (r) (p11)
  • full screen picture without logo (p12)
  • simple bullet list (p13)
  • split logos (p14)
  • contribute (p16)
  • split picture (l) text (r) without heading (p17)
  • split picture (l) text (r) with heading (p18)

@cornouws Would you be able to create template slides for those use cases?

Hi,

NP :sunny:

So to understand you correctly: you want a master slide for all of the examples mentioned, so that when you have a slide with a picture, and apply/choose the master slide, the desired text formatting/positioning is applied?

I think so :wink:

It is used on slides 11-16 :slight_smile:

So to understand you correctly: you want a master slide for all of the examples mentioned, so that when you have a slide with a picture, and apply/choose the master slide, the desired text formatting/positioning is applied?

Yes, correct. So that you can choose e.g. the picture and text yourself, but the format is reused.

1 Like