Infrastructure living the ideals of software freedom

Can organisations with limited resources be digitally sovereign and still provide modern services? It is not trivial, but the FSFE proves it’s possible. Take a deep dive with us into our infrastructure to learn how we run all the different services within the FSFE and cope with numerous challenges. A story non only for techies.

2 Likes

Ich kenne einen grossen Verein (Dachorganisation mit vielen kleinen lokalen Vereinen), der dringend seine IT proffessionell aber eben auch Kostengünstig aufstellen müsste.
Würdet ihr hier auch eine Beratung anbieten?

Hi Michel, thanks for asking. Please let me reply in English because that’s the main language of this forum. If that’s a problem for you to understand, please just use a translation tool.

We have never done consulting in this area (and don’t do that very often in general), but on the other hand we are glad if we can help organisations to switch to Free Software solutions. I also know a few other NGOs that set up networks to help each others.

Please refer them to me directly with some details. Perhaps I can connect them: Max Mehl - FSFE

2 Likes

Great article. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have some questions about virtualization. First, why did FSFE choose Proxmox? Have you run any other open-source virtualization solutions before Proxmox? Finally, have you ever tried on Xen (XCP-ng)?

My organization has to migrate our virtualization environment to an open-source one. Any advice/suggestion is welcome. Thanks.

Best regards.

That has been chosen before I joined the System Hackers. As always, I believe it’s been a mixture of personal taste, pre-existing experiences, research of features and a good feeling in the code and community behind it.

Proxmox VMs (KVM) are basically our only virtualisation engine on our own servers. There would certainly be other solutions, but as we try to be as uniform as possible to reduce maintenance and allow for an easier onboarding, we don’t use others actively. We are happy with it although it might be a bit too complex for smaller setups. As often, the devil is in the detail, and there are a lot of details in such compley solutions :wink:

Maintenance time is an important requirement for us as we’re a small team. It’s good to know that Proxmox works great for FSFE. I’ll research more about it and its community. Thanks a lot!

1 Like