FSFE slide template

I like the design in general, focusing on large text, preventing too much text on slides. Regarding the templating, I tried the templating in the presentation I uploaded earlier. You need to set the default fonts (starting at default, and then al the fonts inheriting properties from default), and then come up with some default pages with the placement of background elements and the text blocks. But proper templating to mee seems like a black art.

It looks very promising, thank you!

As I am going to give a talk at Kieler Linuxtage on Friday I will use it and give you feedback afterwards.

1 Like

Thanks @nicorikken for the feedback. What about after the first round of feedback we reach out to some people from the LibreOffice community and see if we find someone who can help us with the templates (master slides, etc.)?

@nicorikken suggested me to have a look. See if I have some tips.
Will do that over the next days. Pls poke me if it takes too long :wink:

Thanks @cornouws. Looking forward to it!

@cornouws any progress yet?

Will look somewhere the coming days - before Monday…

1 Like

If we put the domain, I would say we cut the personal speaker details from:

Title · Personal site · @-handle

to

Title · website OR @-handle · fsfe.org

Cause the first and last pages are already quite busy, and the FSFE logo is there. At this stage I would not add anything before taking other things away.

Hi,

The use of master slides is sometimes correct, and can also be improved.

• Master slide ‘Default’ is used with white text (default) and black. When there are significant variations, one could create a different master slide for each. But the difference between black and white is not that huge, at least in the sense that it is hard to choice the wrong color from the palette :wink:
  • Master slide ‘Sub Headline’ is used with blue font (mostly) and black. But the master slide itself has green font. So either I would change that to blue, or create a ‘Sub Headline_Blue’ and a ‘Sub Headline_Green’. If the user wants to change the font to black, that will not give problems with choosing the wrong color.
  • Also for Master slide ‘Sub Headline’: I would position the text frame so that the first line is nicely positioned for ‘most used’.
  • For master slide ‘Content’: it is not used. OK. One could consider an example. And since the idea is to stay away from much text, the props of the styles Outline 1, Outline 2, Outline 3 could maybe be changed so that only few lines fit (e.g. 44 pts)
    (Changes in styles are bound to the specific master slide, of which the style is changed.)
  • (If use of multiple columns with ‘Content’ may be used, you could add a sample slide, mentioning the use of Layout for that goal)
    That’s most of it.
    If considered useful, I could do the suggested adaptions.

What about we either have:

Title - fsfe.org/about/profile - @handle

or in case you do not have an fsfe.org profile page

Title - fsfe.org - @handle

and have the URL fsfe.org part a bit more dominant in both versions?

Master slide ‘Default’ is used with white text (default) and black. When there are significant variations, one could create a different master slide for each. But the difference between black and white is not that huge, at least in the sense that it is hard to choice the wrong color from the palette :wink:

@jan what do you think? Probably it is best to have black as default. We rather used a lot of white when we included pictures. So maybe for picture slides white makes more sense.

Master slide ‘Sub Headline’ is used with blue font (mostly) and black. But the master slide itself has green font. So either I would change that to blue, or create a ‘Sub Headline_Blue’ and a ‘Sub Headline_Green’. If the user wants to change the font to black, that will not give problems with choosing the wrong color.

This one is actually not used from what I see. To clarify we mainly want to have templates for the actual slides we used. We did not continue to work on the slide templates as we were not that experienced with it.

Also for Master slide ‘Sub Headline’: I would position the text frame so that the first line is nicely positioned for ‘most used’.

I would rather use page 14 and create a template out of that for a plain bullet point template slide.

@cornouws I apologise for us not being clear what we had in mind. We were mainly looking to have templates for the actual slides we were using. E.g.

• title (p1) (there it should IMHO be possible to two lines in the footer, without having to change the masterslide itself like it is now.)
  • full screen picture without text (p2)
  • full screen picture with text (p3)
  • full screen picture with bright background (p5) → black text
  • full screen picture with darker background (p6) → white text
  • full screen picture with reference (p7+8)
  • picture with quote (p10)
  • split picture (l) text (r) (p11)
  • full screen picture without logo (p12)
  • simple bullet list (p13)
  • split logos (p14)
  • contribute (p16)
  • split picture (l) text (r) without heading (p17)
  • split picture (l) text (r) with heading (p18)

@cornouws Would you be able to create template slides for those use cases?

Hi,

NP :sunny:

So to understand you correctly: you want a master slide for all of the examples mentioned, so that when you have a slide with a picture, and apply/choose the master slide, the desired text formatting/positioning is applied?

I think so :wink:

It is used on slides 11-16 :slight_smile:

So to understand you correctly: you want a master slide for all of the examples mentioned, so that when you have a slide with a picture, and apply/choose the master slide, the desired text formatting/positioning is applied?

Yes, correct. So that you can choose e.g. the picture and text yourself, but the format is reused.

1 Like

@cornouws thanks for chipping in.

• Is there the ability to leave out text fields? I tried deleting them in te past, but they are added in default places again.
  • What do you mean by the 2 column layout example? To pre-fill the text in a textbox of the master slide?

@cornouws did you have time to further work on it? Would be nice to have the template before our community meeting, so it can already be used for the presentations there.

I met @cornouws yesterday. The template was still on his mind, but he had limited time. Indeed the community meeting is a good reason. If I find the time I can try to make an effort this week. And we can contact Cor for a review.

1 Like

@mattias: can you please check the page numbers in your post from Oct. 2 ?
e.g. " full screen picture with bright background (p6)" I think that is page 7… ?
pls check all. thanks,

and you need good understanding of the page numbers too :wink:

@cornouws Yes, sorry page 7 not page 6.